Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Experiments and Mock Modelling - Layout, Scale, Perspective and Lighting

Using the base shape from my Photoshop thumbnail, I began creating a mock up layout in Maya. I still need to add a considerable amount of objects/geometry within the room and tweak the base shape, but apart from that I'm not too displeased with the results. Hopefully I’ve managed to maintain a ‘softness’ to the geometry that was expressed within my clay work. With the latter selection of renders I began to edit colour and produce hybrids (using Maya and Photoshop) as I considered lighting, cobwebs, atmosphere and texture. The last two images I want to explore in more depth and in terms of lighting I think 'god rays'/beams of light is the right way to go - dramatic, yet realistic to the narrative.









2 comments:

  1. Good to see this cooking, Lydia.

    One thing you may want to consider experimenting with is adjusting the focal length of your camera. For example setting it to 21 will give you a wide-angle effect with slight distortion around the edges. Something higher like 70 will create a telephoto effect where the distance between objects becomes obscured somewhat. You can create some interesting distortions of scale between objects. Here's an example of an extreme telephoto effect - this would of been achieved using a lens with a very large focal length.

    http://just-cameras.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/moonrise.jpg

    See this terrible comparison image I found: http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/assets/images/technology/fund_chart.jpg

    So the 'mm' just corresponds to the focal length value in your camera settings. Something to consider at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last two images, Lydia! The last one reminds me of an astronomical theme somewhat. I don't know if you were going for that but it does look old and home to some form of decay so it is working well. =)

    ReplyDelete