Monday, 30 September 2013

Minor Project: Initial Ideas

With past projects proving successful in creating 3D environments, I intend on playing to my strengths and creating an animation around a digital set (with the potential to include live action film if relevant). The majority of my ideas contained the theme heaven - I have no clue why, but it kept creeping in my head so I figured I'd go with it! Below are the four main concepts I am considering. 

The Yellow Wallpaper
(by Charlotte Perkins Gilman)
One of my ideas was based on this short story, told through a mad woman who believes a lady is trapped within the yellow wallpaper of the room she is confined to, when in actual fact its a metaphor of herself being trapped. Hence from this I would create the room the woman is trapped in and have the story animated through the wallpaper.


Heaven At Night / The Streets Of Heaven
With this idea I wanted to portray a 'darker' side of heaven - an almost Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge/Great Gatsby inspired set. I would base the streets of heaven on places I've been, referencing photographs and creating photographic montages of the various locations. For example, see below, my holiday snaps of Palma, Majorca. I would still include the cloud elements lining the base of the set and light with blues/pinks/reds to give it an almost moody/abandoned atmosphere. The song below, by Lana Del Rey, would set the atmosphere.
   




How To Get To Heaven?
This idea was based on a concept I created during the summer for V Festival - 'Moon Risers' - and again thinking about heaven, the journey taken by those who are going to the after life. Trying to portray a magical 'moon balloon' ride to a representation of heaven. The journey would be through a variety of 'worlds' - with reference to Peter Jackon's The Lovely Bones. Start with 2D animation, then move to a 3D environment, ending with live action footage.


Nanny and Grandad's Song
My final idea, which I hope to carry forward, is based on a story of my Grandparents. When my Nanny and Grandad were younger they lived next door to each other and when my Nan would walk down her garden path after work, my Grandad would rush to his back room - next to the garden - and play the piano and sing their song - 'I'll Buy That Dream'. I wanted to create a project that was personal to me and growing up my Nanny's house always held such warm, happy memories for me, so I wanted to create a three dimensional set design of both my Nan's and Grandad's homes at that time when they first began to fall in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment